Sunday, October 4, 2009

Blanket/Toy Chest


This chest was built for my 7 year old grand daughter. The significance of this project is it an exact duplicate of a chest I built 20 years ago when I first started working wood. Made of pine with a coopered top, the finish is water based stain mixed to match the furniture in the room. The hinge is "child safe" and the drawer simply slides to either side to access larger items below.














The first chest I built I had 3 tools, a bench top table saw, a router, and a jig saw in a 3 car garage.
When I delivered this to Cincinnati, I sat it next to the original (the oldest granddaughter got that one when we moved to TN) and I can not tell the difference other than the color, and you see the shop and the tools I have in other posts. Probably completed the project a lot quicker than the first time, maybe improved on my technique somewhat, but you don't need a shop full of tools to produce an item that put a smile on a 7 year olds face.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice. I have toy/blanket chest on the list of things to build my daughter. I haven't decided on a design just yet, so I'll have to add this one to the list of possibles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steven, be sure you get the correct hinges for the lid so it has to be pushed closed, other than that, i left the little applique designs off so she could use it later in life. Good Luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I really like the curved top. Does the molding around the middle serve a purpose other than looking good?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dan, wanted to break up the plain sides by adding that decorative touch. The top is strong enough for both of us to stand on, the slats are dadoed in the center, rabbets on the ends so while they look thin, they are actually 3/4 in stock.

    ReplyDelete