Sunday, September 15, 2013

Wooden Chest Cooler


My neighbor asked if I could build this cooler for his sister’s birthday present with no instructions as to what he wanted for a design, so I designed as I built.   Some minor surgery on the cooler was required, removal of the handles, hinges mostly, and some slight modifications to the sides to square up the chest. 


  It is rough 1x cedar for the chest, legs, and lid, the cooler is supported with 4 – 2”x4”s spaced evenly across the bottom and attached with pocket hole screws, the legs, large panels as well as the top panel were built with pocket hole joinery. 



The drain is attached with 5/8" clear tubing to the cooler and a pvc fitting to the valve
He picked a 5 day cooler approx 42”x18”x20” and the overall height with legs is 38”. Hope they ice down plenty of cold ones for the party. 

6 comments:

  1. Nice job, what was your material cost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. $115 in cedar, the customer supplied the cooler and he wanted to pick the handle for the lid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great. I've been thinking of making something like this for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Daris, I had a good time building this project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wut do u need to do the drainage part

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On that one I used a plastic tube and hose clamps. Others I've done sine I used a galvanized pipe 3-1/2", the washer that is on the inside of the cooler and a galvanized nut. Each cooler will be different so you have to measure.

      Delete