Saturday, August 22, 2009

Cutting Tenons by Hand









The new saws in the post below couldn't have arrived at a better time. I am building a quilt stand and it calls for a through tenon on the stretcher. I couldn't wait to do these by hand verses setting up the tenon jig for my table saw. For those of you that have done this before, there probably isn't anything new, but for those, like me, who have never tried it, I thought I would document the steps I took to finish the tenons. Not sure this is the "right" order of cuts, but it worked for me.

(1) Once I marked the dimensions on the stock, I began my cut by tilting the saw back for the back edge, forward for the front, then cut down through. (2) Once those cuts are completed, rotate the stock and cross cut on both sides, flips the board and repeat. (3) Cut each side of the tenon following your markings and clean up with a chisel to fit.

The tenons came out great (better than the photo) and I didn't compare the time difference between the machine and the hand saw because I did take time to shoot the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment